Healthcare Analyst Principal- Evaluation & Research
Apply for this job by
Employer: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota
Located in: Eagan, Minnesota
Degree Required: Bachelors
This position provides analytic support to the Medicare Stars and Enterprise Risk Adjustment Center of Excellence, with a focus on the application of evidence-based practices and research methods to design and evaluate initiatives to improve the quality of health care delivery, member health status, and member experience for Blue Cross’ Medicare, Medicaid and Exchange populations.
Specifically, this position is a high-level technical expert responsible for the application of analytics, program evaluation, survey and outcomes research methods to improve Medicare Stars quality ratings and risk adjustment accuracy. The position will be expected to lead and mentor junior analysts.
Responsibilities include obtaining data from various internal sources, designing and structuring files for analysis, and performing and interpreting descriptive and bivariate or multivariate analyses. The position applies a utilization-focused framework to design, implement, and communicate findings from project evaluations and exploratory analyses. The position collaborates with stakeholders to define project goals, outcomes, measures, and data sources; develops logic models, evaluation designs, and analysis plans grounded in program theory; conducts analysis, interprets findings, and makes recommendations for program design or improvement; develops audience-appropriate reports and presentations.
Key functions of this position include:
- Providing analytic and research support to inform evidence-based design of Center initiatives
- Identifying appropriate target populations for prospective interventions
- Designing, conducting, and communicating results of exploratory analytics and evaluations of Center initiatives, ensuring appropriate level of measurement rigor
- Facilitating the use of analysis results to inform decisions about intervention modification and scale-up of pilot programs
- Monitoring and interpreting data from member population surveys
The Healthcare Analyst Principal assumes a technical leadership role to analyze complex data and information, identifying success factors and improvement opportunities, suggesting potential solutions, and helping internal customers set strategic directions. The position will lead efforts with coworkers, internal business partners, and leadership to clarify requirements and produce and present meaningful and defensible results.
The applicant should bring proven data analytics skills and a spirit of creativity and problem-solving to deepen insights into factors that drive health care quality. The individual filling this position must be highly skilled from project design and evaluation to oral and written communication of findings.
The Principal Healthcare Analyst will work collaboratively in a team environment, often in leadership roles.
- Leads development of methodologically sound approaches to measurement, data analysis, and reporting of health outcomes, health care utilization, and member experience to evaluate and guide Center initiatives. Engages stakeholders to identify issues to be investigated and leads or works collaboratively to define and implement solutions.
- Leads development of and work with structured data files from multiple internal sources, such as health plan enrollment data, clinical and pharmacy claims data, risk adjustment data, and clinical quality data. Independently manages the retrieval of data from a healthcare data warehouse and other sources.
- Performs complex analysis of data. Researches, analyzes data, applies statistical methods when appropriate, provides interpretation of outcomes, and identifies needs and opportunities for program improvement.
- Initiates action to discover new ways to leverage existing data or new analyses that will contribute to the strategic needs of the Center.
- Clearly communicates results to non-technical audiences, including production of easy-to-understand representations of results. Serves as a consultant who can explain complex analytic concepts, techniques, and results in non-technical terms. Collaborates with other analytic areas within Blue Cross.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on analytic techniques, program evaluation, and survey and outcomes research methods, especially as relates to improving Medicare Stars quality ratings and risk adjustment accuracy.
- Provides guidance to junior-level analysts on data management, data analysis techniques, research methods, communication with non-technical stakeholders, project management, and healthcare industry knowledge.
- Independently manages issues that may arise on multiple tasks or projects with limited or no management involvement.
- Bachelor's degree in related field and 7 years of relevant work experience, or 11 years of relevant work experience in lieu of a degree
- Advanced experience (5+ years of experience) analyzing and modeling data involving outcomes and utilization, using various statistical software and computer programs (SAS, R, Python, SQL, etc.)
- Knowledge of applied research and evaluation methods
- Proficiency in Microsoft software applications such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access
- Ability to perform validation techniques, as well as perform and interpret a variety of statistical analyses
- Demonstrated ability to design, evaluate and interpret complex data sets
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks with competing priorities
- Demonstrated analytic and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to interpret and communicate analytical information to both individuals and groups in a clear and concise manner
- Demonstrated ability to present complex technical information to non-technical audiences and to senior decision-makers
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and in a team setting with individuals having diverse professional backgrounds including business, technical and/or clinical
- Master’s degree preferred
- Knowledge of managed care and healthcare claims preferred
- Knowledge of survey research methods preferred
Posted on 11/09/2018
The education abroad opportunities posted on this website are not formally affiliated with the University of Minnesota and have not been fully vetted. Opportunities posted on this website should not be construed as an endorsement by the University. Please contact the Learning Abroad Center for information regarding participation on all education abroad programs.