State Refugee Health Coordinator
Apply for this job by
Employer: Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada
Located in: Las Vegas, Minnesota
Degree Required: Bachelors
- Responsible for managing the Refugee Health Promotion Grant and Health Screening funding and all activities under these two grants.
- Oversight of Refugee Health Screening and related health activities in Nevada. Conduct ongoing meetings with health providers, health departments and resettlement agencies to troubleshoot and discuss issues that need to be resolved.
- Work closely with refugee resettlement agencies and refugee health providers to learn about the medical needs that refugees face on a daily basis.
- Work with refugee providers and refugee community leaders to develop effective and culturally competent solutions to address barriers to refugee health to include implementing health promotion activities.
- Maintain permanent communication/collaboration with health departments which are collecting data from Refugee Health Screenings to develop strategies to use this data in a way that will contribute to meet the health care needs of incoming and existing populations.
- Work with other health care providers and other refugee providers to ensure that refugees have access to appropriate language services for health care needs as entitled through Title VI of the Civil Rights Act.
- Prepare reports for the federal Office of Refugee Resettlement based on data gathered about initial refugee health assessments and progress in the overall improvement of refugee access to Nevada’s health care system.
- Ensure that clients who are no longer eligible for Medicaid are accessing insurance through employment or other insurance through Affordable Care Act.
- Manages staff including hiring, training, approving time off, completing performance reviews and disciplinary actions when needed.
- Create and update health program documents as well as policies and procedures as needed.
- Protect all confidential information, company property and electronic data. Comply with safety rules.
- Other related duties as directed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possess critical thinking skills and have the ability to foresee areas that need improvement within the realm of refugee health in Nevada.
- Ability to develop and implement effective improvement plans relating to refugee health.
- Ability to build relationships and partnerships with health departments, other health agencies and community partners.
- Experience working with international populations and/or knowledge of cultural backgrounds of refugee populations.
- Ability to identify refugee health issues or trends and assist with the development of strategies to address the issues.
- Proficiency in a refugees’ language is desired, but not required.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication as well as management skills.
- Sound judgment and ability to work autonomously.
- Prioritize work and meet necessary deadlines.
- Proficiency in computers and software including Microsoft Office.
- Bachelor’s degree is required in one of the following areas: Public Health, Health Administration or other health related field.
- Two years of work experience in the area of health.
- Flexible schedule to work after hours and weekends, as necessary.
- Primarily works in office environment, but will also work throughout the agency and off site.
- Ability to communicate with clients, doctors, medical providers, community partners, volunteers, and co-workers.
- Ability to operate and use office equipment, especially computer, keyboard and mouse.
- Ability to continuously sit and/or stand. Ability to climb stairs as needed.
- Ability to drive, enter and exit vehicle as needed.
May occasionally lift up to 25 pounds.Catholic Charities of Southern Nevada offers an excellent benefits package including insurance benefits, paid time off and retirement plan.
CCSN is a drug free and equal opportunity employer. All employees must successfully complete a drug test and background check prior to employment.
Posted on 02/01/2019
The education abroad opportunities posted on this website are not formally affiliated with the University of Minnesota and have not been fully vetted. Opportunities posted on this website should not be construed as an endorsement by the University. Please contact the Learning Abroad Center for information regarding participation on all education abroad programs.