Posting expires on
Employer: Urban Ventures
Located in: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Degree Required: Bachelors
Job Status: Full-time
Job Classification: Exempt/Salaried
Reports to: VP of Food, Farming & Social Enterprises
Department: Farming & Nutrition
Effective Date: Spring of 2019
Working Hours: Regular fulltime office hours Monday-Friday with flexibility for some evening and weekend events that meet community needs.
About Urban Ventures:
Urban Ventures is a creative, urban, faith-based (but inclusive) non-profit with the mission to educate children, strengthen families, and build a healthy community. UV primarily serves the Central and Phillips neighborhoods of South Minneapolis, an area with challenges academically and economically but rich in culture and diversity.
Under the direction of the VP of Farming & Nutrition, the Educator develops an overall food nutrition strategy for Urban Ventures and collaborates closely with program leaders to improve access to nutritious food, increase healthy food consumption and implement fun, innovative and healthy ways to promote wellness for our participants.
- Effectively presents nutrition education to UV youth/adults across all programs.
- Conducts healthy cooking “classes” using Cooking Matters curriculum.
- Completes a basic needs assessment of social determinants of health and health disparities in target population, especially related to nutrition and access to healthy foods.
- Develops key partnerships with other organizations.
- Recruiting and managing a volunteer support team.
- Works with partners to establish schedules for food distribution and nutrition education outside of UV.
- Works with UV chef in educating participants regarding the nutritional value of meals from the Kids Café.
- Works with UV Urban Farm staff to use the Urban Farm as part of nutrition education.
- Is involved in the distribution of organic food, cookbooks, and nutrition facts to program participants.
- Is involved in community outreach utilizing the UV Food Truck, Mobile Farmers Market Truck, Farm Stand, and Community Meals.
- Minimum of a Baccalaureate degree in the fields of nutrition, health and wellness or education.
- “Teaching” experience, i.e. experience with lesson planning, using curriculum, presenting to a group, teaching elementary, middle or high school youth
- ServSafe Certification upon hire.
- Volunteer or paid experience with socially, economically, ethnically diverse populations in low-income, limited resource communities.
- Passion for inspiring healthful eating among youth and for promoting local sustainable agriculture.
- Must be able to conceptualize and implement a nutrition program with fully developed objectives, goals, and success measures
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Technical aptitude (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Compassion and service-mindedness for underserved people and youth.
- Enthusiastic, energetic and outgoing
- Person(s) of color strongly urged to apply.
2924 4th Avenue South
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55408
Posted on 02/07/2019
The education abroad opportunities posted on this website are not formally affiliated with the University of Minnesota and have not been fully vetted. Opportunities posted on this website should not be construed as an endorsement by the University. Please contact the Learning Abroad Center for information regarding participation on all education abroad programs.