Public Health Nurse-School Health Services
Apply for this job by
Employer: Olmsted County
Located in: Rochester, Minnesota
Degree Required: Bachelors
This position is .8FTE (32 hours/week) and scheduled during the school year on scheduled school days
Under general public health nursing supervision, provides public health nursing services in the areas of adult and family health, disease prevention and control, health promotion and emergency preparedness to improve health outcomes for individuals, families, communities and populations in need within the county.
- Provides health education in classrooms on a variety of topic such as hand washing, hygiene, nutrition, dental health, puberty, mental health and other topics as requested.
- Provides referral and follow-up for community resources to students/families
- Provides disease and health condition surveillance in school-age youth
- Works collaboratively with Licensed School Nurses and other school stakeholders to address the needs of K-12 students in Olmsted County schools
- Provides 1:1 health education and counseling for students
- Promotes and collaborates with partners for the School-located Immunization Clinics
- Maintains CPR certification with the ability to perform CPR when necessary. Obtains and maintains other necessary certifications as needed
- Supports the department during disease outbreaks emergency situations that may require non-standard work hours including evenings, weekends and holidays
- Performs related duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Nursing.
Required Special Qualifications:
Licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Minnesota is required upon employment.
Certification as a Public Health Nurse in the State of Minnesota is required within six (6) months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of public health nursing theory, principles, programs and practice
- Knowledge of and ability to use counseling and education methods and concepts that promote health and safety
- Knowledge of community resources
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others
- Skill in providing skilled nursing care to clients (i.e. immunization administration, blood pressure reading)
- Skill in the use of computers and technology
- Skill in effective verbal and written communication
- Skill in exercising independent judgment within practice standards
- Skill in providing consultation to influence an identified plan, enhance the abilities of others, and effect change
- Skill in providing ethical nursing practices
- Skill in integrating evidence and research findings into practice
- Skill in utilizing appropriate resources to plan and provide nursing and public health services that are safe, effective, and financially responsible
- Skill in practicing in an environmentally safe, fair, and just manner
- Skill in advocating for the protection of the health, safety, and rights of the population
- Ability to apply the principles of public health to communities, families and individuals
- Ability to assess individual, family, and community needs and to develop, carry out, and evaluate nursing care plans
- Ability to apply state, federal, and local laws, rules, regulations, policies, and reimbursement mechanisms pertaining to public health services
- Ability to coordinate care delivery
- Ability to demonstrate leadership in the professional practice setting and the profession
- Ability to integrate the principles of health equity and social determinants of health into planning and practice
- Ability to carry out the core functions of public health, i.e. Assessment, policy development and assurance
- Ability to adapt to changing practice in the field of public health nursing
Posted on 05/02/2019
The education abroad opportunities posted on this website are not formally affiliated with the University of Minnesota and have not been fully vetted. Opportunities posted on this website should not be construed as an endorsement by the University. Please contact the Learning Abroad Center for information regarding participation on all education abroad programs.