Evaluation & Survey Statistician
Apply for this job by
Located in: Bloomington, Minnesota
Degree Required: Bachelors
HealthPartners Institute is one of the largest health system research and education centers in the Midwest. Embedded within HealthPartners’ integrated health system, the Institute uses research, evaluation and education to accelerate improvements in quality, experience and affordability for our members, patients and the community.
The Institute’s Center for Evaluation and Survey Research (CESR) currently has an exciting opportunity for an Evaluation and Survey Statistician. This position will work in collaboration with other CESR staff and health system partners to design, implement and report on statistical analyses that test the effectiveness of health system programs. This position will be responsible for accessing existing health system data and conducting statistical analyses to answer evaluation questions and disseminate learnings to internal and external stakeholders.
- Use statistical, methodologic, health systems and data source expertise to help design, propose and plan evaluation projects for internal and extramural funding
- Participate in meetings with health system clients to identify, interpret and analyze data needs, gather requirements and ensure resulting data extractions and analytic plans align with identified client needs
- Acquire and maintain a familiarity of HealthPartners reporting tools and administrative or other essential data sources (e.g., claims, enrollment, pharmacy, registries, financial, electronic health records, survey data or public-use data sets), including front-end user interface, key data definitions, element names, relational structure, as well as significant caveats and anomalies
- Build and maintain familiarity with advanced statistical methods (e.g., propensity score matching, time-to-event analysis, hierarchical modeling, predictive analytics, ROI, total cost of care or cost-effectiveness analysis)
- Independently write queries and programs to create analytic data sets from multiple complex data sources and conduct advanced statistical analysis using SQL, SAS programs or other program languages, as required to implement evaluation analysis plans in consultation with CESR staff and health system clients
- Proactively identify the need for, develop, and adhere to protocols for quality assurance that validate data quality assumptions, verify accuracy, identify data errors and inconsistencies and proper documentation using industry best practices such as continuous quality improvement (CQI)
- Summarize and communicate analytic methods and results in writing, verbally, and visually using both technical and non-technical language to various audiences, including clients, funders, researchers, health system administrators and community
- Participate in the ongoing development and strategic direction of evaluation services at HealthPartners and the Center for Evaluation and Survey Research
- Advanced personal oral and written communication skills and experience gathering and translating technical requirements in non-technical language from team members, researchers, health system executives, care delivery practitioners or other partners
- Knowledge of healthcare systems, clinical or hospital processes across care delivery and/or health plans
- Understanding of data structures and relational databases, including familiarity manipulating and analyzing health systems or public-use datasets
- Ability to read, understand, and critically review research publications and proposals
- Comfort working in a consulting role on study design and evaluation aims and hypothesis formulation
- Advanced statistical or epidemiologic methods, both general and specific to health systems
- Proficiency with various programming languages (e.g., SQL, Python), statistical software packages (e.g., SAS, Stata, R), data collection tools (e.g., Epic, REDCap, MS Access) or reporting and data visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, Microstrategy)
- Experience with data visualization best practices for designing simple, easy-to-understand data graphics that are unbiased and accurate
- Project leadership experience, problem solving skills, attention to detail and ability to self-direct work, manage time effectively, and prioritize work across simultaneous projects
- Bachelor’s degree with 4 years’ experience or Master’s degree in a quantitative healthcare-related field (e.g., statistics, biostatistics, epidemiology, health economics, business, health services administration, computer science or mathematics) and one year’s experience in a healthcare setting.
- Direct experience working with multiple, complex data sets including data management, programming and statistical analysis
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages (e.g., SQL) and statistical software (e.g., SAS)
- Experience presenting results verbally and in written form to senior level managers
- Master’s degree with 4 years’ experience or PhD in a quantitative or healthcare-related field
- Direct experience working in health care and/or health research settings, working with health care claims and/or electronic health record data (e.g., Epic)
- Experience with research or evaluation proposal preparation, especially pertaining to methodological design, project planning and implementation, and data analysis
- Career focus on statistical or healthcare consultation or programming in learning health systems evidenced by experience, publications or presentations
- Experience designing survey weights and/or analyzing data from complex survey sampling designs
- Good working knowledge of medical terminology, medical coding systems (e.g., ICD, CPT)
At HealthPartners, you’ll find a culture where we live our values of excellence, compassion, integrity and most importantly, partnership. By working together, we will improve health and well-being, create exceptional experiences for those we serve and make care and coverage more affordable.
HealthPartners is recognized nationally for providing outstanding care and experience for patients and members. We offer an excellent salary and benefits package. For more information and to apply go to www.healthpartners.com/careers and search for Job ID #52551.
Posted on 05/06/2019
The education abroad opportunities posted on this website are not formally affiliated with the University of Minnesota and have not been fully vetted. Opportunities posted on this website should not be construed as an endorsement by the University. Please contact the Learning Abroad Center for information regarding participation on all education abroad programs.