Find jobs, field experiences, and internships in the public health field
Posting expires on 08/24/2019
Employer: Vital Strategies
Located in: New York
Degree Required: Masters
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our
programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are concentrated in low- and middle-income countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
The International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), headquartered in
Paris, France since 1920, has regional and country offices in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, and SouthEast Asia. The Union provides expertise in project implementation and management, epidemiology and
surveillance, and other core public health capacities on a variety of global health challenges. For
more information about The Union please visit www.theunion.org and about The Union’s Tobacco
Control Department please visit www.tobaccofreeunion.org.
This position will be involved in the tobacco control work of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union). This program is funded by Bloomberg Philanthropies and is designed to implement best practices of tobacco control policies at the global level. The position will be based in the Vital Strategies offices in New York City. Applicants must have a valid work permit to work in New York City.
• Provide overall research and program management support to the Tobacco Control Department at
• Collaborate with project leads on creating documents and project deliverables including conducting
literature and desk reviews and drafting documents and tools (e.g. research or policy briefs, letters
to stakeholders, monitoring protocols/tools, etc.).
• Lead efforts to identify, curate and synthesize resources such as enforcement protocols, advocacy
tools, and evaluation frameworks.
• Work closely with project leads of STOP and Enforcement in supporting program management.
• Other duties as needed.
• This position will report to the Director of Tobacco Control at The Union.
Qualities and Qualifications
• Master’s degree or relevant experience (3-5 years). Experience and familiarity with public health
policy, evaluation, and program planning.
• Skills in desk research, analysis, and synthesis of technical documents and social science research.
• Experience in creating tools, proposals, and program strategy documents.
• Excellent writing skills, especially in a style catering to general audiences through policy briefs and
• Capability in collecting and processing information and presenting.
• Experience with tobacco control or other NCD policy/behavioral change policy is a plus.
• Capability in working independently and collaboratively.
• Highly attentive to detail.
• International experience is preferred.
• Proficient English writing and speaking abilities (knowledge of other languages, particularly Spanish,
Bahasa, Hindi, or Chinese is an asset).
• Proven ability to quickly learn new software and mastery of Microsoft Suite products (particularly
Word and Excel).
How to Apply
To apply, please send CV, cover letter, and the contact information for three employers who can provide references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for applications is August 24, 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Vital Strategies offers highly competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Posted on 07/31/2019
The education abroad opportunities posted on this website are not formally affiliated with the University of Minnesota and have not been fully vetted. Opportunities posted on this website should not be construed as an endorsement by the University. Please contact the Learning Abroad Center for information regarding participation on all education abroad programs.